Kardamo (Cardamo) is one of the finest restaurants in the centre of Kalamata.
Its story began in 2010, as the creation of three young local men, and in 2013, having earned the trust of the dining public, it made the leap to a larger, very demanding place, right in the middle of town, opposite the city’s stunning railroad station.
Spyros, Dinos and Takis, the three Komboyiannitis brothers, and their team managed to make their new restaurant work too and in just a short time To Kardamo became a reference point in Kalamata, a place that rivals any of the best in Athens. Attractive layout and ample space, discreet decoration, impeccable service by smiling, polite and good looking waitresses, a warm and casual atmosphere are key features of its identity.
Kardamo’s kitchen has developed some traditional recipes while also presenting new creations based on a host of typically Greek local foods.
From the extensive menu we singled out:
- ‘Open’ greens pie with homemade fyllo and xinomyzithra cheese
- Grilled sfela cheese with grilled tomatoes and toasted country bread
- Bourekakia — little aubergine pies with feta, garlic and mint
- Courgette chips with seasoned yogurt
- Goat cheese in a crust of grains with beetroot spoon sweet
- Chard dolmades with yogurt sauce
- Village salad with oil-flavoured biscuits from Kythera and feta cream
- Green salad with grilled manouri cheese, fresh herbs, cranberries, pistachios and a honey vinaigrette
- Salad with mixed vegetables, grilled portobello mushrooms, Naxos garlic cheese, grilled cherry tomatoes and a balsamic vinaigrette
- Pork cutlets with honey and mustard
- Pita Gyros, Gyro-style chicken thigh strips, grilled tomato, home-made pita bread, yogurt sauce and fried onions
- Calf’s liver with oregano
- Pork shank with celery root puree (2 persons)
- Neck of pork grilled with pita bread
- Slow-cooked pancetta with white wine and vegetables
- Home-made pasta with smoked pancetta and pumpkin