There are three good places to eat on the waterfront of Ermioni, located side by side within a space of 100 metres. Vying with each other for the best food, they are all equally worthwhile.
If Maria’s taverna has the classic Greek seafood dishes and the inimitable atmosphere of a kafeneion that has morphed into a taverna, Ganossis next door, Ermioni’s oldest, serves the best version of Greek home-cooked foods and other Mediterranean tastes in more chic surroundings, while at the third, Spyrandreas, you will find a classic local gem, a fish taverna that’s been running in Ermionida for half a century. Except that here the tastes and surroundings don’t follow the model of the traditional fish taverna but rather something much more modern and advanced. For here you will sample all the typical seafood meze in a different guise, on their own but also ‘married’ with pasta and rice.
The story of Spyrandreas fish taverna begins in 1968 when twin brothers, Spyros and Andreas (whence the unusual name) created it out of nothing. With their love of good food and their warm welcome they soon made it a very popular fish eatery and hangout.
Recently they turned the running of the taverna over to their children, Dimitris, Giorgos and, confusingly, Dimitris (both Dimitris, being the first born sons,are named after their grandfather as is the Greek custom). The young men all studied the culinary arts and have brought new ideas to the kitchen. Without abandoning the old recipes and the skills of grilling the daily catch, they have enriched the menu with new, imaginative, original combinations, such as:
- Risotto with chicken, shrimp and saffron
- Risotto with mussels and shrimp
- Risotto with a melange of wild mushrooms
- Shrimp served with spaghetti, cooked in fresh tomato sauce
- Shrimp, mussels and scallops, with pasta cooked in fresh tomato sauce
- Tagliatelle with shrimp, fresh mushrooms and truffle oil
- Spaghetti with fresh lobster, specialité de la maison, with fresh tomato sauce and basil.
- Tagliatelle with salmon and squid ink.