The oldest restaurant in the Ermionida district and one of the most historic in the Peloponnese, Ganossis, has been an institution in the port of Ermioni since it opened its doors in 1918. Its current owner, Iosif Ganossis, who represents the third generation of this family-run business, is celebrating a whole century of Greek traditional cooking and hospitality to tens of thousands of customers.
The story of this restaurant begins in 1900 when Iosif’s grandfather Giorgos Ganossis came to Ermioni from Evia as a teenager to try his luck. He did well and built the taverna 18 years later along with the town’s first hotel, whose guests were merchants, travellers, civil servants, while the taverna served as a ticket agency, hangout, way station, saloon, entertainment hub, political debate arena.
In 1949, Giorgos’s son Tasos and his wife Zoe took over. Soon afterwards, tourism began, and gradually Greeks and foreigners discovered the area, mainly in summer. The first passenger ships of the day, the legendary Neraida, Kamelia, Pindos, Kyknos, Saronis, Portokalis Ilios, connected Piraeus with Poros, Methana, Hydra, Spetses, and of course Ermioni, where those who disembarked would be sure to find a meal at Ganossis. Among the dishes offered then were lobster, fish soups, spaghetti with meat sauce, stewed octopus, moussaka, and walnut cake, on the house, for dessert.
In 1970, Giorgos, named for his grandpa, the first member of the third generation took over, later handing the reins to his brother Iosif.
With the passing of the years, the traditional taverna has evolved into an elegant restaurant. It is housed in a mainly open area on a wooden deck with a retractable roof and wind barriers, stylish and impressive winter and summer with its beautiful draperies, fabric-covered chairs, and chic decor. The family style cooking has been enriched by other Mediterranean flavours and various gourmet dishes, such as spaghetti with lobster, and pizzas baked in a special wood-fired oven.
At Ganossis restaurant both the select summer holiday-makers from around the area as well as local permanent residents can find food to their liking and finish up with a slice of that quintessentially traditional walnut cake.
Mon-Sun 9:30 am – 11:00 pm